Makes 4 playdough balls
Share with friends
Hands up – who remembers homemade playdough? Before iPads and even TV, moms made this quick, simple recipe jazzed up with a little food colouring to keep their kids happily, creatively occupied. Why not revive this simple pleasure for your own kids while Mzansi is on lockdown.
2 cups (300g) flour
- ½ cup (125g) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) oil
- 1½ cups (375ml) boiling water
- Food colouring of choice
- Combine flour, salt and oil in a bowl.
- Pour in boiling water and stir to combine until you have a rough dough.
- Divide dough into 4 equal-sized balls (take care as the dough may be a little hot to handle).
- Make an indent in one ball of dough, drip in food colouring and knead until colouring is evenly distributed and dough is smooth and springy.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
Add a few drops of essential oils like lavender, lemon, peppermint or grapefruit to the dough for a fragrant treat.