More than 1 hour
- 2 cups (300g) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp (10ml) cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (130g) wholewheat flour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) rooibos tea leaves
- 1½ cups (375ml) sunflower oil
- 1½ cups (300g) caramel or brown sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 3 apples, peeled and roughly chopped
For the icing:
- 1/3 cup (80g) butter
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 2 cups (250g) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Grease and flour a 24cm bundt cake tin.
- Sift cake flour, bicarb, cinnamon and salt together.
- Add wholewheat flour and rooibos tea leaves.
- Whisk oil and sugar together in a separate bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well incorporated, then add vanilla.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together and fold apple through.
- Spoon into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan and stir in brown sugar.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Simmer, stirring, over a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk and heat until it starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in icing sugar.
- Pour over cake, allow to set and serve.