More than 1 hour
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1.5kg oxtail
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 packet (4) spring onions, chopped (keep green and white parts separate)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3cm knob ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 2-4 whole dried chillies
- 1 cup (250ml) Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ½ cup (125ml) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) brown sugar
- Juice (60ml) of 2 limes + extra wedges for serving
- ¼ cup (60ml) thick soy sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) beef stock
- 1 punnet (20g) fresh coriander, stalks and leaves separated
- Fresh chilli, chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Season meat and heat half the oil in an ovenproof pan.
- Brown meat in batches, remove and set aside.
- Sauté celery, white parts of spring onion, garlic and ginger in remaining oil for a minute.
- Add spices and chillies, return meat to pot and cook for about a minute.
- Add rice wine, vinegar, sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, stock and coriander stalks.
- Cover, place in the oven and cook for about 3 hours.
- Uncover and cook for a further 30-45 minutes.
- Serve topped with coriander leaves, green parts of spring onion, fresh chilli and lime wedges.