More than 1 hour
- 2 cups (500ml) dry sherry
- ⅓ cup (80ml) hoisin sauce
- Juice of 3 (90ml) limes
- ⅓ cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 6cm knob ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, halved
- 1-2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and finely chopped
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt flakes or coarse salt
- 2kg pork belly on the bone, rind scored (see below)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 packet (230g) broccoli stems, sautéed
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Rub pork with salt and drizzle with oil.
- Place onions in a deep roasting pan and top with pork, rind-side up.
- Pour sauce around pork (covering the meat and not the fat and rind).
- Roast for about 30-40 minutes.
- Reduce heat to about 160°C.
- Continue to roast for another 2-2 ½ hours or until cooked through and crackling is crispy (add a splash of water if needed during the cooking process).
- Remove from oven and allow pork to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce pan juices on the stove top for a few minutes or until thickened.
- Serve pork belly drizzled with pan juices and broccoli stems on the side.