Less than 1 hour
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Liezl Vermuelen Photographer: Toby Murphy
A brilliant way to give offal a chance.
- Glug olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200g beef kidney
- 150g ox liver
- 2 packets (200g each) streaky bacon
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground allspice
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground coriander
- ¼ cup fresh chopped herbs (like parsley, coriander and thyme)
- Dash lemon juice
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- ⅘ cup (200ml) breadcrumbs
- Salt and milled pepper
- Buttery peas, for serving
- Potato mash , for serving
- Gravy, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onion for 6-8 minutes or until golden, then add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Set aside.
- Finely chop kidneys, liver and 5 rashers bacon. (You could use a food processor and give short, sharp pulses to chop, take care not to overblitz).
- Combine meat with onion mixture, spices, herbs, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and breadcrumbs. Season well.
- Shape into 12 balls.
- Wrap balls in remaining bacon and place on a roasting tray.
- Drizzle with a little oil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bacon is crispy and meatballs are firm.
- Serve meatballs with buttery peas, mash and gravy, if you like.