Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125g) castor sugar
- 2 large (300g) bananas, mashed
- ⅖ cup (100g) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10ml) caramel essence
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 2 bananas, halved
- ½ cup (125g) treacle sugar
- ½ cup (125g) brown sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) boiling water
Caramel and ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a deep 22cm square oven dish.
- Whisk egg and sugar together until fluffy.
- Stir in mashed banana, butter, milk and caramel essence.
- Combine flour and salt and fold into egg mixture. Spoon into prepared dish.
- Place banana halves on top of batter and sprinkle sugar evenly over batter and banana.
- Pour boiling water over the back of a spoon to cover pudding so that it ‘floats’ gently on top of the batter and settles there. (You don’t want the force of pouring to make a hole in the batter).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden, the sugar has formed a crust, and the centre is just cooked (it should be gooey at the bottom).
- Serve with caramel and ice cream.