Less than 30 minutes
Makes 1 cup
- 1½ cups (375ml) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5ml) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp (5ml) Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- Simmer ingredients in a saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool down.
- Brush the basting on the meat (or veg) in a thin, even coating.
- Add more basting as you braai, every 3-5 minutes when turning meat.
Make a double batch and keep it in the fridge for future braais or a quick and easy basting sauce. For larger cuts of meat that require cooking for over 30 minutes, to avoid too much charring, we suggest partially braaiing before basting and then cooking it all the way through.