30 minutes (plus chilling time)
Makes about 40-45 biscuits
Share with friends
- 1 ⅕ cups (300g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (130g) icing sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla paste or vanilla essence
- 3 cups (450g) cake flour
- ½ cup (100g) castor sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Cream butter and icing sugar together with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- Add vanilla paste or essence and mix well.
- Add flour and mix to create a solid dough (take care not to overmix).
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on a work surface and roll each portion of dough into a 30cm log (it should be 4-5cm in diameter).
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight (freeze logs if not baking immediately and use as needed).
- Preheat oven to 180 ̊C.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Slice logs into 7-8mm thick discs
- Place biscuits on prepared baking trays, leaving a 2cm gap between each one.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then rotate baking trays and bake for a further 6 minutes until golden around the edges and firm in the centre.
- Sprinkle with castor sugar, if you like, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1-2 weeks.