More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 1 cup (250g) soft butter
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla essence
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour, sifted
- Pinch fine salt
- Edible flowers and mint, for serving (optional)
- ¾ cup (180g) soft butter
- 2 cups (260g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 20-23cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together for 6-8 minutes, using an electric whisk. (The mixture should triple in quantity and become a pale yellow-white.)
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking well to incorporate before adding the next one.
- Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt, then the wet mixture and mix.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 5-10 minutes, then unmould and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, whisk butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar in 3-4 batches, whisking well to incorporate before the next addition.
- Once cake is cool, top with icing.
- Decorate with flowers and mint, if you like.