Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (180ml) lukewarm water
- ¾ cup (180ml) white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sugar
- Canola or sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup (250ml) flour
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- ½ tsp (3ml) baking powder
- Handful fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- 1 can (330ml) beer or soda water
- 600g longline kingklip or hake, cut into strips
- 8 hot dog rolls, halved
- 1 packet (80g) PnP baby leaf mix
- 1 tsp (5ml) sesame seeds
- Handful fresh coriander
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) sriracha sauce
- ⅓ cup (80ml) mayonnaise
- Combine pickled onion ingredients and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and herbs and stir through beer or soda water to create a smooth batter.
- Pat fish dry with kitchen paper and season well.
- Dip fish in batter and fry in batches until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper and lightly season.
- Fill buns with salad leaves and fish.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and coriander, then top with drained pickled onions.
- Whisk sriracha and mayonnaise together and serve with hotdogs.