More than 1 hour
Serves 8-10 (as part of a meal)
Share with friends
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1.8-2kg beef chuck or brisket
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) ground coffee and
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) each chilli flakes
- 1 tsp (5ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125ml) PnP BBQ sauce
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock or water
- 2 cans (400g) cherry or chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- Heat oil in a pot over high heat.
- Season meat and brown well on all sides.
- Reduce heat slightly and add remaining ingredients, making sure meat is submerged in liquid.
- Cook meat in a slow cooker for 6-7 hours on medium setting, or cover and roast in the oven at 160˚C for about 3-3 ½ hours, turning meat over hourly and topping up with stock or water as needed. If you’re using a pressure cooker, cook for about 1½ hours, topping up liquid as needed.
- Slightly cool meat, remove from sauce and shred using two forks.
- Toss through sauce and coat evenly.
- Serve meat on buns, in wraps or over pasta, use as a pie filling or simply serve with mashed potato.