More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (250ml) maize meal (polenta works well too)
- ¼ cup (60ml) butter
- 3 leeks, washed and sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 1 cup (250ml) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 packets (90g each) smoked mackerel, flaked
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 cup (250ml) grated cheddar
- Place water, salt and oil in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Whisk in maize stirring to avoid clumps.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring regularly until cooked.
- Spoon cooked pap into a greased 20cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Press down firmly with the back of a spoon to create a pie crust.
- Chill for an hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Heat butter in a pan and fry leeks until soft.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cream, while whisking, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add vegetables, mackerel and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season.
- Pour filling into tart base and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Slice and serve.