More than 1 hour (plus marinating time)
- 2-3 packets (about 400g each) PnP beechwood smoked pork steaks, cut into chunks
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut into medium chunks
- ⅓ cup (80ml) each honey and brandy
- ¼ cup (60ml) each olive oil and Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) treacle sugar or brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sumac (or 1 Tbsp each lemon zest and milled pepper)
Yoghurt naan bread:
- 1¾ cups (270g) self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 1¼ cups (310ml) PnP double-cream plain yoghurt
- Fennel curls and chopped fronds, for serving
- Season pork chunks and set aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over pork chunks to coat well.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- For the naan bread, combine self-raising flour, salt and yoghurt.
- Knead to form a soft dough, about 8-10 minutes.
- Divide into about 10 medium-sized balls and roll them out into an oblong shape (about 2mm thick).
- Grill over medium heat on the braai or in a griddle pan for 3-5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Thread pork chunks and fennel chunks on bamboo skewers, alternating between the two.
- Braai over medium-hot coals for 20-25 minutes, turning regularly, until cooked through (baste with excess marinade to make them extra sticky).
- Serve with naan bread, garnished with fennel curls and chopped fronds.
For an alcohol-free version, replace the brandy with apple juice.