More than 1 hour
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ packet (50g) blanched almonds
- 1½ cups (38g) basil leaves
- 5 Tbsp (75ml) olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 cup (60g) parmesan, grated, plus extra for sprinkling
- Salt and milled pepper
- 4 cups (600g) white bread flour
- ¾ packet (7g) instant yeast
- ½ tsp (7ml) salt
- 1⅓ cups (330ml) lukewarm water
- Place pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate with a thin layer of olive oil covering the surface.
- Place flour, yeast and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add lukewarm water while mixing with a dough hook.
- Knead for 5-7 minutes, or until smooth.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a 5mm-thick square.
- Brush with ⅔ cup (160ml) pesto, sprinkle with parmesan and season, leaving a 3cm border on one end.
- Roll dough towards the open border.
- Cut in half horizontally.
- Braid halves, cut side facing up.
- Place on a lined baking tray.
- Roll into a ring and scrunch edges together tightly.
- Cover with a tea towel and set aside for 15-20 minutes to proof and puff up slightly.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Brush with olive oil and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve hot out of the oven – no butter needed!