Serves 12 / MAKES 4½L
Share with friends
- 3kg cubed butternut
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each ground cumin and ground coriander
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) ground cinnamon
- 5 cups (1.25L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) lemon juice
- 1 tub (250ml) cream
- ½ cup (125g) butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place butternut on 2 or 3 baking trays, take care not to overcrowd trays.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil and season.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until well browned.
- Heat remaining oil in a large 6-8L pot and sauté onion and celery for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Add spices and cook for a minute.
- Add butternut and remaining ingredients, excluding cream and butter, and simmer partially covered for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and blitz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Stir through cream and butter (if using).
- Cool before refrigerating or freezing, or serve immediately as is or perk up with the below suggestions.
Variations to try:
Curried chickpea soup:
Heat a glug olive oil in a large pot. Rinse and drain 2 cans (400g each) chickpeas. Fry chickpeas until crispy, then set a few spoonfuls aside for topping. Add 3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) rogan josh or korma curry paste to pot and add 10 cups (2.5L) butternut soup base. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve topped with crispy chickpeas, a dollop of yoghurt and garnish with parsley. SERVES 4
Spiced chorizo and bean soup:
Heat 10 cups (2.5L) butternut soup base along with 2 cans (400g each) white butter beans until steaming hot. Heat a glug olive oil in a pan and fry ½ coil (100g) sliced chorizo until crispy. Remove chorizo and in the same pan fry 1 tsp (5ml) crushed cumin seeds. Serve soup topped with chorizo and cumin seed oil. SERVES 4
West African peanut soup:
Heat a glug olive oil in a pan and fry 3cm knob grated ginger for a few seconds. Add 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add 8 cups (2L) butternut soup base, 3 Tbsp (45ml) smooth peanut butter and ½-1 cup (125-250ml) veg stock or water and heat until steaming hot. Pan-fry 1 packet (200g) PnP Livewell plain tofu until crispy. Add a handful Swiss chard to soup and allow to wilt. Serve soup topped with tofu, salted peanuts and fresh coriander. SERVES 4