- Glug oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup (250ml) arborio or risotto rice
- 1 cup (250ml) pearl barley
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine
- 6 cups (1.5L) warm vegetable stock
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 cups (500ml) frozen peas
- ⅔ head (200g) broccoli, grated or blitzed
- ½ cup (125ml) parmesan or vegan parmesan, grated
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Fresh mint and parsley, chopped, for serving
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté onions for 5-8 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Stir in rice, barley and thyme and cook until it smells nutty, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze pot, cooking until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Add stock 1 ladle at a time, cooking and stirring with each addition until liquid is totally absorbed. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Once rice and barley are tender, season and add peas and broccoli, stirring to cook lightly, making sure they retain colour (about 2-3 minutes).
- Serve risotto with parmesan and a scattering of lemon zest and fresh herbs.