Less than 1 hour
- 240g butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp (3ml) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (225g) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup (180ml) cream
- Jam of choice, for filling
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Line 8 holes of a cupcake pan with paper cupcake casings.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one, allowing to incorporate before adding next addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold flour into mixture until well-combined.
- Spoon ¼ cup (60ml) batter into each cupcake casing.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool.
- Whisk cream to soft peaks.
- Slice tops off each cupcake and halve each.
- Make a shallow indentation in each cupcake and fill with cream.
- Insert the 2 ‘wings’ into the cream and spoon a little jam into the gap to create the butterfly body.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.