More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- Glug olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 medium brinjals, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-6 tsp (20-30ml) sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) tomato paste
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh or 1 tsp (5ml) dried origanum (thyme works well too)
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 2½ discs (about 100g) feta, diced
- Handful basil leaves, torn
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) capers (optional)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 packet (4 sheets) ready-rolled puff pastry (or 1 packet, rolled to 3mm thin on a floured surface)
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sesame seeds
- Greek salad, for serving
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Heat oil and sauté onion, brinjal and pepper until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, origanum and water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Stir through feta, basil and capers, if using, and season well.
- Cut a large circle from each pastry sheet.
- Divide filling between circles, placing a dollop on one side of each.
- Brush edges with egg and fold over to seal.
- Brush foldovers with egg and scatter over seeds.
- Make a few slits on top to release steam and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve pies hot out of the oven with salad.