- 1⅕ cups (300g) soft butter
- 1 cup (130g) icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp (3ml) rose water
- 3¾ cups (563g) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cardamom
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) water
- 2 cups (260g) icing sugar
- Food colouring (optional)
- Chopped pistachio nuts and rose petals
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter with icing sugar together using an electric mixer until light and pale, about 8 minutes.
- Add eggs, mixing until fully incorporated, and stir in rose water.
- Add cake flour and ground cardamom and mix into a dough. Divide dough in half.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on a work surface and roll out half the dough to 5mm thick.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Cut dough into 5cm diameter squares or discs (using a cookie cutter).
- Place on baking trays, leaving a 2cm gap between biscuits.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating baking trays halfway through to ensure even colouring. Remove from oven, cool biscuits in trays until firm, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Whisk water into icing sugar, adding food colouring if using.
- Dip a half or a corner of each biscuit into icing and allow excess to drip off.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts and rose petals while icing is still wet.
- Place biscuits on a wire rack to set.
- Store in an airtight container.
These biscuits can be flavoured with any spices of your liking. Try ginger or cinnamon with caramel, lemon or orange essence – they all play well together.
Check Out our other easy biscuits recipe