Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- Glug olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3cm knob ginger, grated
- 1 tsp (5ml) each fennel seeds, cumin seeds and mustard seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground turmeric
- ½ cup (110g) dried mung beans, soaked overnight and drained
- ½ cup (110g) dried brown lentils
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock
- 3 fresh or dried bay leaves
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 head (300g) cauliflower, grated or finely chopped
- Plain yoghurt, crispy onions, flatbreads and a handful fresh coriander, for serving
Heat oil in pot and sauté onion for about 8 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, seeds and turmeric, and fry for 30 seconds.
Stir in beans, lentils, stock and bay leaves. Season.
Cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring regularly until it has a porridge-like texture.
Add cauliflower and cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until soft (add a splash of water if needed).
Stir through a little yoghurt and top with crispy onions.
Garnish with coriander and serve with and flatbreads on the side.