About 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil + extra for sauteing
- 1 fillet (about 200g) hake, skinned, deboned and cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 packet (500g) PnP seafood selection, defrosted
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 (about 250g) potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm cubes
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) cake flour
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cumin
- ¼ cup (60ml) dry white wine (or 3 Tbsp (45ml) water + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 3 cups (750ml) hot fish stock (chicken or veg stock works too)
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 cups (230g) frozen corn
- 1 block (100g) PnP vintage English cheddar cheese, grated
- Juice (60ml) of 1 lemon
- Handful each fresh dill and chopped chives
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat.
- Fry hake cubes for 1-2 minutes to sear all around. Remove and set aside.
- Fry seafood mix in two batches for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add another glug of oil to the same pot, reduce heat and sauté onion and leek for 8 minutes, until soft but not darkened.
- Add garlic and potato cubes and fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cumin to coat veg.
- Add wine and reduce for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, cream and bay leaves and season.
- Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and start to break down slightly.
- Return hake and seafood to pot, add corn and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add lemon juice, check seasoning and stir in herbs.
- Serve soup with crusty bread.