(+ marinating time)
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sriracha sauce
- Salt and milled pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
- 1½ cups (375ml) flour
- Oil, for deep-frying + extra for greasing
- 2 cups (500ml) sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) melted butter or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250ml) grated cheddar
- 1 cup (250ml) grated mozzarella
- 4-5 spring onions, sliced
- Chopped chives and golden or maple syrup
- Combine buttermilk and sriracha in a bowl. Season.
- Add chicken strips to marinate for at least an hour or preferably overnight.
- Whisk ¼ cup (60ml) marinade mixture into flour using a fork to create large flakes.
- Dip chicken into flour flakes, making sure to coat evenly.
- Deep-fry chicken in batches for about 8 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- For waffles, combine cake flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together 2 eggs, melted butter or canola oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture and whisk well to combine.
- Fold through mustard, cheese and spring onion. Season.
- Heat a waffle maker and grease lightly.
- Ladle some batter into the waffle maker and cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with crispy fried chicken, sprinkled with chives and drizzled with syrup.