Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 each onions, carrots and red peppers, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups (500g) pearl barley
- 4 tsp (20ml) smoked paprika
- 6 cups (1.5L) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) frozen peas
- Parsley, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof dish.
- Brown chicken well and season. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil on low-medium heat in the same dish.
- Sauté onions, carrots and peppers until soft.
- Add garlic and fry for a minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir through barley and paprika and heat through.
- Add 4 cups (1L) stock and stir to combine. Season.
- Simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add peas and place drumsticks on top. Add remaining stock and cover with foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until stock is reduced.
- Serve with parsley and lemon wedges.