More than 1 hour
Makes 4½ litres
Share with friends
Basic chicken broth:
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 packets (about 1.4kg) chicken breasts on the bone
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 6-7 stalks celery, sliced into 3cm pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 5 cups (1L) water
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
For chicken ramen:
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 3 star anise
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 4 red chillies, halved and deseeded
- 600g egg noodles, cooked
- 8-10 eggs, boiled and halved
- 500g green veg, steamed
- 2 packets (200g each) shiitake or shimeji mushrooms, fried (optional)
For Greek lemon soup:
- 6 eggs, whisked
- Juice (240ml) of 4 lemons
- 1 packet (20g) dill, stems removed
- For basic chicken broth, heat oil in a large 6-8L pot.
- Season chicken and brown in batches on both sides (this prevents steaming).
- Add remaining ingredients to pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 60 minutes.
- Strain broth, reserving chicken.
- Shred chicken with two forks, discarding bone and skin.
- Return chicken to broth.
- For ramen: Add cinnamon, star anise, soy sauce and chilli and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Divide noodles, eggs and green veg between serving bowls.
- Remove spices and ladle soup into bowls.
- Top with fried mushrooms, if using.
- For Greek lemon soup: Heat basic broth until boiling.
- Combine eggs and lemon juice.
- Add egg mixture in a thin stream into soup, whisking constantly.
- Simmer for 3 minutes and stir through dill.
- Serve warm.