Less than 45 minutes
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cans (400g each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 15ml of the canning liquid)
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) maple syrup or vegan honey
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive or canola oil
- A few slices sourdough bread
- Seeds or nuts of choice
- Sliced banana
- Handful fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spread chickpeas out on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt, drizzle with maple syrup or vegan honey and toss to coat.
- Roast chickpeas for 20-25 minutes.
- Blitz chickpeas in a blender while still hot, adding lemon juice, oil and the reserved canning liquid. The texture should start resembling a nut butter.
- Toast the bread.
- Serve chickpea butter spread on hot toast, topped with seeds, nuts, banana and berries.