Less than 45 minutes
- 16-20 chicken wings
- Salt and milled pepper
- Fresh coriander, for serving
Chilli wet rub:
- 1 tsp (5ml) garlic powder
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- Juice (60ml) of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground chipotle chilli or cayenne pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- ¼ cup (60ml) creamy mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60ml) sour cream
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sriracha or chilli sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground chipotle chilli or cayenne pepper
- Lime or lemon juice, to taste
- Cut chicken wings into smaller portions, buffalo-wing style. Season well.
- Combine chilli rub ingredients.
- Cover chicken wings with rub, using your fingers to spread mixture evenly.
- Set aside at room temperature for 20-30 minutes for flavours to infuse.
- Braai wings over hot coals for 12-15 minutes, turning regularly.
- Combine chilli-mayo dip ingredients.
- Serve chicken wings with dip and coriander, pairing with beer and corn chips if you like.
To cut chicken wings into buffalo wings, use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to cut off the wing tips (the pointy end) – you can use these for stock. Separate the two remaining wing sections at the joint connecting them.