- 1½ cups (375ml) canola oil
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3-4 cups cooked sushi rice
- Crispy fried ginger (optional)
- Sliced spring onion or fresh chilli
- Handful sesame seeds
- Sesame oil and soy sauce, for drizzling
- Heat oil in a wok or deep medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and add to hot oil.
- Deep-fry until the edges are crispy, then reduce heat to cook yolks to your liking (see cook’s note).
- Carefully remove eggs using a slotted spoon so that excess oil is drained before placing on a plate.
- Repeat with other eggs.
- Serve on a bed of sticky rice topped with ginger, spring onion or chilli and sesame seeds, drizzled with sesame oil and soy sauce.