Less than 1 hour
Makes 1 large 26cm cookie
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 2 naartjies
- 1 tub (2L) vanilla ice cream (use non-dairy or frozen yoghurt if you like), slightly defrosted/softened
- 1½ cups (200g) gluten-free flour mix (or regular flour, if you’re not gluten intolerant)
- 3⁄4 cup (150g) xylitol or Sweetly sugar substitute
- ½ cup (125ml) bottled apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) coconut oil, melted + extra for greasing
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract or essence
- 1½ slabs (150g) dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- ¼ punnet (100g) Medjool dates, stoned and chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 26cm cast-iron pan with coconut oil.
- Add naartjie juice and peel to ice cream. Mix in well and freeze.
- Combine flour and sugar substitute.
- Combine apple sauce, coconut oil and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Fold wet mixture into dry ingredients and mix well to create a smooth, dough-like batter.
- Add in chocolate chunks and chopped dates.
- Spread dough evenly into prepared pan, making sure the base is totally covered.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve in the pan with naartjie ice cream on the side.