More than 2 hours
Share with friends
Basic enriched dough
- 1 sachet (10g) instant yeast
- 4 cups (600g) flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) castor sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup (180g) butter, softened
- 1 tsp (5ml) castor sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground clove
- ⅔ cup (160ml) dried fruit mix
- 1 cup (130g) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- Place yeast, flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Heat milk, water, vanilla, oil and castor sugar in a small pot over medium heat. Don’t boil.
- Add milk mixture to flour and mix until just combined.
- Add egg and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel.
- Set in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Stir together filling ingredients, except the dried fruit mix. Set aside.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 2cm-thick rectangle.
- Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1cm border.
- Sprinkle with dried fruit.
- Roll dough lengthways to enclose filling.
- Trim edges and cut into 16 slices, 2cm thick.
- Line a 24cm x 30cm x 5cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Pack slices tightly, cut-side up, on baking tray.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside to rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked and golden.
- Stand for 2-3 minutes before turning onto a wire cooling rack.
- Stir drizzle ingredients together and pour over slightly cooled buns.