More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1.2kg lamb knuckles (or use lamb or beef stewing meat you prefer)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 cups (500-750ml) beef or lamb stock
- ½ packet (500g) baby potatoes, halved
- 1kg green beans, trimmed and halved
- Rice, for serving
- Season lamb and heat half the oil in a pan.
- Brown meat in batches. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil and sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Return meat to pot, add cloves, coriander and bay leaves and stir well.
- Add 2 cups (500ml) stock, cover and simmer gently for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook for another 30 minutes, adding more stock if needed.
- Add green beans and cook for a further 25 minutes. (There should be plenty of rich gravy,
- but take care not to add too much stock).
- Serve stew with rice.
COOK’S NOTE: Speed it up! Prepare the recipe as above, combining all ingredients in the pot after you’ve sautéed the onions and garlic. Liquid should cover meat ¾ of the way. Cook in a pressure cooker for 40 minutes. Use canned or frozen green beans instead of trimming fresh ones.