Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125g) castor sugar
- ⅖ cup (100g) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 2 limes
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour, sifted
- ¼ cup (60ml) desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 1 cup (250g) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) coconut milk, heated
- ¾ cup (180ml) boiling water
- Coconut flakes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a deep 22cm square oven dish.
- Whisk egg and sugar together until fluffy.
- Stir in butter, milk and lime juice and peel.
- Combine flour, coconut and salt and fold into egg mixture. Spoon into dish.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over batter.
- Combine coconut milk and water and pour over the back of a spoon the back of a spoon so that it ‘floats’ gently on top of the batter and settles there. (You don’t want the force of pouring to make a hole in the batter).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden and the centre is just cooked (it should be gooey at the bottom).
- Serve sprinkled with coconut flakes.