Less than 1 hour
- 2 cups (500ml) jasmine rice
- 1 can (400g) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) fine salt
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed (optional)
- 1 star anise
- ½ packet (50g) cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Handful fresh coconut shavings
- 6 (about 600g) PnP free-range chicken breast fillets
- Salt and milled pepper
- Olive oil or canola oil, for frying
- Grated peel of 2 limes + wedges for serving
- Fresh coriander, for serving
- ⅓ cup (80g) soy sauce
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 2 limes
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) honey
2cm knob fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- Pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- Rinse rice in a sieve under cold running water until it runs clear.
- Combine coconut milk, water, salt and spices in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir to distribute evenly.
- Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, not stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Slice chicken breasts into ribbons, thread on 4 skewers and season.
- Heat oil in a pan on high heat and sear chicken to brown on all sides, about 4 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over chicken, cooking for 8-10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Fluff up rice using a fork and stir in cashews and coconut flakes.
- Serve chicken on rice, scattered with lime peel and wedges and coriander.