Serves 4-6 (as a starter)
- Glug olive oil blend
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10ml) PnP garlic, ginger and chilli paste
- 1 tsp (5ml) red chilli paste
- 1 stick lemongrass (optional)
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 2 packets (500g each) PnP West Coast mussels in half shell, defrosted
- 1 can (400g) coconut milk or coconut cream (regular cream works too)
- Salt and milled pepper
- Lime or lemon juice, to taste
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 each red and green chillies, chopped
- Handful fresh coriander and basil leaves
- Lime or lemon wedges
- 1 loaf crusty bread, such as ciabatta
- Heat oil in a medium pot on the stove (or in a potjie on the fire over medium-hot coals).
- Sauté onion until soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add pastes and lemongrass and cook for a minute.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce for 1-2 minutes.
- Tip in mussels and coconut cream. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, until mussel meat firms up and turns bright orange.
- Season well and add lime or lemon juice.
- Serve steaming hot, sprinkled with spring onion, chilli and herbs. Add lime or lemon wedges and lots of bread for mopping up sauce.