Less than 30 minutes
Makes about 24
Share with friends
- Glug vegetable oil + extra for shallow-frying
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3cm knob ginger, finely grated
- Grated peel and juice (60ml) of 1 lemon + extra wedges for serving
- 2 raw mielies, kernels removed
- 400g hake fillets (or any other sustainable white fish), defrosted and diced
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) each chopped fresh mint and coriander + extra leaves for serving
- ⅓ cup (80ml) chickpea or cake flour + extra for dusting
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup (250ml) desiccated coconut, for coating
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onion, garlic, ginger and lemon peel until soft. Set aside and cool.
- Blitz fried aromatics along with remaining ingredients (except seasoning, egg and coconut) in a food processor until just combined.
- Season mixture well and shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Toss balls in extra flour, dip in egg, then roll in desiccated coconut to coat.
- Shallow-fry balls in hot oil until golden all around and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes depending on size, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Scatter fresh herbs over fishcakes and serve with lemon wedges on the side.