Less than 45 minutes
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5ml) chilli flakes
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 bulb fennel
- ½ packet (40g) rocket
- 1-2 balls buffalo mozzarella, torn
- ⅓ cup (80ml) almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 large spanspek, seeds removed and sliced into wedges
- Balsamic glaze, for serving
- Place red onion in a bowl with red wine vinegar and chilli to pickle.
- Season, set aside for 20 minutes, then drain.
- Shave fennel bulb into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. (Place ribbons in a bowl of ice water to create curls, if you like.)
- Toss fennel, pickled red onion, rocket, mozzarella and almonds together.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Arrange spanspek wedges on a platter and top with salad.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Browse more sides and salad recipes here.