More than 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5ml) Dijon mustard
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 (1 -1.2kg) PnP fresh whole chicken
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) flour
- ⅘ cup (200ml) dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (125ml) cream
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 2 red onions, sliced into wedges
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine butter and mustard.
- Season chicken and rub mustard-butter over skin.
- For sauce, heat butter in an ovenproof pan.
- Add flour, cook for 30 seconds, then whisk in wine and mustard.
- Add cream, thyme and stock and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and place chicken and onions in pan.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes, basting chicken with sauce every 15 minutes.
- Serve chicken with lemon wedges on the side.