- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Butter, for spreading
- Dijon and wholegrain mustard, for spreading
- 1½ cups (375ml) grated mature cheddar
- ¼ cup (60ml) chopped chives + extra for serving
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 extra-large eggs
- Tomato wedges, for serving
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread other side with mustards, top with cheese and chives. Season.
- Sandwich bread buttered side out.
- Fry sandwiches over low heat in an ovenproof pan until golden and toasted.
- Remove from pan.
- Using a cookie cutter, make a hollow in the centre of each slice of toast (keep cut-outs as dippers for egg).
- Return to pan and break an egg into each hollow and cook until egg sets.
- Bake toasties in oven at 180°C until egg is cooked to your liking.
- Garnish with extra chives and serve with tomato wedges on the side.