Less than 45 minutes
Serves 4 (as a main)
- 2 cups (500ml) brown rice
- ⅔ cup (180ml) dried brown lentils
- 4 cups (1L) warm chicken or veg stock
- 2 cups (500ml) boiling water
- Salt and milled pepper
- Oil, for frying
- 3 onions, sliced into petals
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar or honey
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 can (400g) chickpeas
- 1 packet (100g) raw cashew nuts
- Handful fresh herbs (such as rosemary or thyme), chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) each cumin seeds and mustard seeds
- Bring rice, lentils, stock, water and seasoning to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer without stirring for 14-18 minutes, until water has evaporated.
- Heat a glug of oil in a pan on medium heat and sauté onion for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. It should be turning golden but not brown.
- Add balsamic vinegar, sugar or honey and thyme.
- Sauté for another 3-5 minutes, until sticky and browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat another glug of oil in the same pan and fry chickpeas and cashews for 5-8 minutes until golden-brown.
- Add herbs and seeds, cooking for another minute.
- Toss both onion and chickpea mixtures through rice.
- Serve flavoured rice as a side with roast chicken or beef, or make it a meal and top with fried mushrooms and spinach.