Makes 1 large
Share with friends
- 1¾ cups (430ml) hot water
- ¼ cup (60ml) espresso
- 1 cup (125g) cocoa powder
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups (500g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) cooking oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla essence
- 1¼ cups (200g) cake flour, sifted
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) baking powder, sifted
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 2 slabs (80g each) dark chocolate, melted
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups (260g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
- 1 packet (200g) chocolate malt balls
- Fresh berries (like raspberries and blueberries), for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed cake tins with baking paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- Pour water and coffee into a bowl and stir in cocoa powder. Set aside to cool.
- Cream yolks and sugar together for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy with an electric whisk.
- Add oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add coffee-cocoa mixture to egg mixture. Mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold wet mixture into flour mixture, then add melted chocolate and mix well.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into batter.
- Divide between prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- For icing, whisk cocoa powder, icing sugar and butter together until smooth.
- Spread cake with icing and decorate with chocolate balls and berries (if using).
- Slice and serve.