Less than 45 minutes
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Liezl Vermeulen Photographer: Toby Murphy
This easy 3-step dessert uses mostly pantry items – a lockdown win! Add a handful of frozen berries for a flavour burst and pop of colour.
- 1 cup (150g) cake flour
- ½ cup (100g) castor sugar
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60ml) granola or toasted oats
- ½ packet (50g) raw almonds or hazelnuts, chopped
- 2/3 cup (180g) cold butter, cubed
- ½ cup (100g) brown, treacle or regular white sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 5 medium golden delicious apples, cubed (pears work well too)
- Custard, cream or ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For topping, mix dry ingredients together and rub butter into the mixture using your fingertips. (You can use a food processor to do this too if you have one).
- Toss filling ingredients together in a 1L ovenproof bowl, evenly coating apples with mixture.
- Scatter with topping.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.