More than 1 hour
- 600g baby potatoes (regular potatoes or sweet potatoes cut in wedges work well too)
- 1 whole (about 1.5kg) chicken
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, rosemary or origanum leaves (optional)
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp (45) red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) water
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- Handful fresh basil and or mint, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place chicken and potatoes on a large roasting pan.
- Combine salt, pepper, oil, garlic and thyme and coat chicken and potatoes with mixture.
- Roast for an hour or until chicken juices run clear when pierced with a knife and potatoes are golden and cooked through.
- For the pickle, toss cucumber and red onion together.
- Heat vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a pan and pour over the cucumber and onion.
- Pickle for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Serve chicken with basil or mint and quick pickle.
Good idea: Stuff cavity of chicken with a handful of herbs and a halved onion or lemon for extra flavour, if you like.