Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) each chopped fresh parsley and coriander
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground coriander
- 2 cups (500ml) cooked brown lentils
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) flour
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tub (175g) plain yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each chopped fresh mint and coriander
- Salt and milled pepper
Pickled red onion:
- ½ cup (125ml) grape vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 French loaf
- Handful each lettuce and shredded carrot
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- Handful each chopped basil and coriander
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until brown.
- Add herbs and spices and fry until fragrant.
- Add to cooked lentils.
- Blend ¾ lentil mixture together with egg, flour, grated lemon peel and olive oil until it forms a thick paste.
- Fold remaining lentils into mixture and roll into walnut-sized balls.
- Bake in a 180°C preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Mix sauce ingredients together.
- Mix vinegar, water and sugar together until sugar has dissolved.
- Cover onion with pickle mixture and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Spread French loaf with sauce and add a couple of lettuce leaves and some shredded carrot.
- Top with falafel balls.
- Serve with sliced chilli, basil, coriander and pickled red onion.