Less than 45 minutes
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Anke Roux Photographer: Michael le Grange
Comfort food in a jiffy.
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) vegetable oil + extra for frying
- 1 tsp (5ml) yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp (5ml) cumin seeds
- Small handful dried curry leaves (optional)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1½ cups (375ml) uncooked basmati rice
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- ⅓ cup (50g) flour
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) garam masala
- 4 hake fillets
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 punnet (180g) PnP assorted tomatoes
- Small handful each fresh coriander and mint, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) double cream plain yoghurt, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and cook whole spices and curry leaves until they start to pop.
- Add onion and sauté until lightly browned. Season.
- Stir through rice and coat in spices.
- Add water and cook rice until tender. (Add a splash of water if liquid has evaporated and rice is not quite tender.) Set aside.
- Mix together flour and masala.
- Coat fish in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and fry fish until golden and cooked through.
- Combine all sambal ingredients.
- Serve fish on rice and top with sambal and a drizzle of yoghurt, if you like.