- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each butter and olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 punnet (500g) cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp (10ml) dried Italian herbs
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 packet (400g) puff pastry, defrosted
- Fresh rocket and basil dressing (see cook’s note) for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a 28cm ovenproof pan over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until slightly caramelised.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cook cherry tomatoes in the same pan for 5-8 minutes until blistered.
- Add sugar, red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar and herbs.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until mixture thickens. Season.
- Roll puff pastry to fit over the top of the pan, and trim off excess to form a disc.
- Add onion mixture to tomato mixture.
- Cover with pastry disc and use the back of a spoon to tuck in the edges.
- Make two small incisions in the centre for steam to escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before inverting onto a plate.
- Serve with fresh rocket and dressing, if you like.
Serve this luscious tart with a creamy basil dressing. Blend ¼ cup (60ml) mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp (30ml) each plain yoghurt and olive oil, a handful fresh basil, 1 Tbsp (15ml) vinegar and 1 chopped garlic clove. Season with salt and milled black pepper and serve.