More than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 (about 700g) chicken breasts on the bone
- 7 cups (1.75L) chicken or vegetable stock or water
- ½ cup (125ml) risoni (pasta rice)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 eggs
- Juice (60ml) of 1 lemon
- Handful each fresh parsley and dill, chopped
- Pita bread, for serving
- Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, chicken breasts and stock or water to a pot. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to pot (discard skin and bones).
- Add risoni and seasoning and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Whisk eggs until foamy (preferably with an electric beater) for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to egg while whisking.
- Temper egg by adding 2 cups of hot stock in a thin stream (this method heats up the egg mixture a little without cooking it).
- Add egg mixture to pot and stir in herbs.
- Cook for about 2 minutes to allow the egg to thicken.
- Serve with pita bread.