Less than 30 minutes
- ⅓ cup (80ml) basil pesto
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil + extra olive oil for drizzling
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- 2 packets (200g each) asparagus
- 2 packets (200g each) braai halloumi, cut into 2cm-thick strips
- Salt and milled pepper
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves, for serving
- For dressing, combine basil pesto, olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Break chalky bottom tips off asparagus (they snap off naturally at the ends) and discard.
- Thread asparagus spears and halloumi onto 6 skewers (2-3 layers per skewer).
- Drizzle with olive oil and season, adding chilli flakes if you like.
- Prepare medium-hot coals (or a hot griddle pan).
- Grill skewers until halloumi is golden and asparagus charred and bright green.
- Serve immediately with basil pesto dressing and fresh basil scattered on top.