More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- ½ block (250g) butter, softened
- ¼ cup (60ml) chopped fresh parsley (no stems)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 (about 1.3kg) whole chicken, giblets removed
- Wilted greens and lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine butter, parsley, mint, chillies and garlic well and divide into 4 portions.
- Season chicken and, using your fingers, loosen the skin slightly from the flesh, but keep the skin intact.
- Rub 1 portion of herb butter under the skin, evenly coating the chicken.
- Rub another portion of herb butter over the skin to cover the entire chicken.
- Place in a lined deep baking dish and roast for 40-50 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
- Melt remaining portions of butter in a pan and use to baste chicken every 10 minutes while it is roasting.
- Toss wilted greens with any leftover melted herb butter.
- Serve chicken on a bed of greens, with lime wedges on the side.