More than 2 hours
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Liezl Vermeulen Photographer: Michael le Grange
The T-shaped bone divides the sirloin (larger piece) and fillet meat – the best of both worlds.
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup (250ml) olive oil
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 sprigs each rosemary and thyme, bruised
- Handful parsley, chopped
- 8 peppercorns
- Grated peel of 2 lemons
- 2 large T-bone steaks
- Salt and milled pepper
- Knob butter, for frying
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Place garlic, thyme and oil in an ovenproof bowl and cover with foil.
- Roast for 60-80 minutes and set aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients and brush onto steaks.
- Marinate for 30-60 minutes at room temp (cold, refrigerated meat may not cook evenly).
- Heat a pan with some marinade until smoking hot or prepare hot coals.
- Season steaks well.
- Pan-fry or braai steaks for 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare, adding a knob of butter 1 minute before done.
- Wrap in foil and rest for at least 8 minutes.
- Serve steak sliced or whole and top with garlic confit.