Less than 30 minutes
Makes 4 cups
- 2 cups (500ml) canola oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced (or 1 packet spring onions)
- 2 bulbs garlic, peeled and cloves thinly sliced
- 8cm knob ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 star anise
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup (125ml) chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Szechuan peppercorns, crushed (optional)
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) honey or sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) miso paste (optional)
- ½ cup (50g) roasted peanuts, chopped
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Deep-fry shallots in batches for about 8 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Fry garlic for 3-4 minutes and drain on kitchen paper.
- Fry ginger for about 5 minutes and drain on kitchen paper.
- Strain oil to remove any burnt bits and return to pot.
- Place over low heat.
- Add cinnamon, star anise, cardamom and bay leaf to infuse for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove spices and increase heat until oil reaches 180°C (use a thermometer – it’ll take about 8-10 minutes until hot).
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large 2L heat-proof bowl.
- Pour over hot oil, working carefully as the mixture will bubble up slightly.
- Stir in crispy shallots, garlic and ginger.
- Cool completely before transferring to two 500ml jars.
- Store in fridge for up to 3 months.