Less than 30 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 cups (300g) white bread flour
- 2 cups (300g) cake flour + extra for dusting
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 1 sachet (10g) yeast
- Pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp (35g) sugar
- ½ tsp (3ml) of each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- ½ cup (125ml) raisins or sultanas
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 Tbsp (45g) softened butter
- ½ cup (60g) flour
- Enough water to create a smooth paste
- ¼ cup (60ml) smooth apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) hot water
- Combine flours, milk, yeast, salt, sugar, spices and dried fruit in a mixing bowl.
- Add water while mixing, then add egg and butter.
- Knead for 4-5 minutes or until smooth.
- Cover with clingfilm directly on dough and set aside to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Knead dough and divide into 8 pieces.
- Shape into rounds and dust with extra flour.
- Place buns onto a lined baking tray, cover and prove for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Bake buns for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool slightly.
- For cross, combine flour and water to create a paste.
- Pipe a cross onto each bun using a piping bag (or simply putting the icing in a zip-seal bag and snip off a corner to create one).
- For glaze, combine jam and water and brush or drizzle over buns
- Best served while warm.